Galaxy S T959 preliminary research to attempt replicant installation

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Fri Aug 22 23:27:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 08:10:38PM -0400, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
> FYI If I were doing this over again now, I'd definitely go for ownCloud over
> SOGo for personal use. ...

Thanks.  Just installed ownCloud.

> > Surprisingly, ownCloud in not in the Debian archives, so downloaded
> > the .tar.bz2 file and the .deb for the client.  I'll start playing with
> > it to get up to speed on the new way of doing things.  [...]
>
> Oh, the project has its own Debian repo. If you follow the server install links
> from owncloud.org, you'll end up at:
> http://software.opensuse.org/download/package?project=isv:ownCloud:community&package=owncloud

Yes, I had been there, but I had gone to the "Grab the binary packages
directly" and that's where only the tar.bz2 file was.  This time, I went
the preferred route and added the file for the openSUSE Debian repo and
it seems to have installed correctly.

> ownCloud also has that Android app in the F-Droid repo...

Found it.  Unfortunately it requires Android 2.2 and I have 2.1-update1,
so it looks like I'll have to find a way to upgrade to 2.2 as an
interim step or just forget doing anything with the current version and
just install something else (CM or Replicant).  More on that in other
sub-threads.

> We haven't done much more with it, but if you're already setting up ownCloud for
> CalDAV/CardDAV, the ownCloud client might be worth looking at for other file
> transfers/backup... not sure how much it can be automated outside of the photo
> uploads though at present...

I'll see if I can do something with what's already on the phone.  I have
set up a wifi router on my network and the phone connects.  Now I'll
have to point it to the ownCloud server.

Thanks for helping!

Augustine