Galaxy S T959 preliminary research to attempt replicant installation

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Fri Aug 22 23:53:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 07:12:05PM -0400, Brian Kemp wrote:

> T959? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, the much maligned Samsung Vibrant.
>
> Start here. http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_vibrantmtd

Thanks! Very useful page.  The link to the cmenard-t959-cwm.tar file
is broken, but the file can be found here:

http://www.adbtoolkit.com/recovery/images/custom/samsung/galaxys/vibrant/sgh-t959/

> If you can get CM on the Vibrant that helps immensely. The problem is
> that the Vibrant had some serious serious issues with both GPS and
> E911 calls. Since we know GPS won't work with Replicant, it's not a
> huge deal, but 911 is touchy.
>
> Yes we know CM is non-free, but Replicant is based upon CM, so
> installing CM will get you much closer to a working Replicant build.

I'll keep working at it.

> The problem is that your Vibrant seems to have only 2.1 instead of the
> 2.2 build. You will need to update it somehow. Finding proprietary
> roms, even vendor roms for a phone that old is an exercise in luck,
> mostly, and trolling the far corners of XDA. I am sorry in advance.

I wonder if they would do that upgrade if I take the phone to the local
t-mobile store.  Most likely they'll tell me to take a hike or buy a new
phone...

> It was a much-maligned phone even for CM. Maybe Replicant can fix some
> of the issues, but it's an old phone.
>
> You might be okay with Heimdall, but you might have to flash some
> firmwares manually to get CM or Replicant to run.

Well, it's a learning experience at the very least.  Thanks a bunch
for replying.  I'll keep the list updated.

Augustine