Low powered ARM PC (CuBox, PandaBoard) support (Was Re: Are smartphones any good? (was Re: Oneplus One support))

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Sat Oct 4 16:20:52 UTC 2014

> > I wasn't meaning a Pi based phone, I just noticed that a lot of
> these (albeit not the Pi, I know the Android struggles there) support
> Android and use a lot of open components.  I don't think Replicant on
> CuBox(I) or PandaBoard
>
> Well, the GTA04 Replicant 4.2 image [1] should already be able to run
> on a PandaBoard if combined with a boot loader on some SD card. And if
> the kernel is configured correctly.

Unlike on GNU/Linux systems, it is a bad idea to expect binary
compatibility on Android. So many things are defined at build time that
it is unlikely that everything will work as expected, unless components
were designed with that aim in mind (which is what I'll be trying to
achieve for Allwinner tablets: one image for all the tablets). The
kernel wouldn't work either, as we don't use device tree on Android yet.

> Unfortunately my PandaBoard ES is currently needed for something
> different so I can't initiate a test.

As far as I know, the PandaBoards run OMAP4 SoCs, while the GTA04 is a
DM3730 (OMAP3) device. That said, our Replicant image for the GTA04
doesn't really have any OMAP3-specific component (yet). Hence a major
problem with the kernel.

I think AOSP has native PandaBoard (and maybe BeagleBoard, too), so it
would be dead easy to try to build such an image of Replicant.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Website: http://www.replicant.us/
Redmine: http://redmine.replicant.us/