Are smartphones any good? (was Re: Oneplus One support)

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:14:43 UTC 2015

On 05/01/15 09:46, dimonik, dimonik wrote:
> Free dumb phone is not enough for freedom/privacy.
>

> Lets assume freecalypso-sw reached the goal and produce this phone in
> the pocket:
>
> 1. You still will be tracked by telecom network (exposed location);
>
> 2. Your voice will not be encrypted using trusted algorithm (End-to-End)
> because this is dumbphone as thus will obey badly broken standard GSM
> A5/1 - A5/3 algos with SIM card's loosy 64bit keys;
>
> 3. Your calls/sms'es will travel across telecom network and will easily
> be accessible for prepared adversary (SS7 hacking);
>
> This explain more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeCkO0fWWqc
>
> So your data still completely insecure, and you better not to use this
> phone.
>

> Better goal is probably dumb-smartphone at least capable to send traffic
> over data-connection and able to run free OS/crypto software for
> end-to-end encrypted communication.

  You are pretty much right, mobile phones are restricted and monitored
radio communications devices. It would be nice to see an alternative
come into fruition, based say, on unlicensed packet radio and repeaters.
I was thinking of trying something like this with my CB radio (which is
allowed where I live, but probably not in the U.S. [if you're from there]).

There are apps I believe on smartphones that can double-encrypt your
calls and texts, if you're really that bothered about surveillance.

But the drivers and firmware are a different issue.

That isn't to say that the Replicant project et al. is a waste of time,
if you are going to have a mobile phone, you are always better off
having a partial free software one, at least, as much as it could
possibly be, rather than it all be proprietary.

Better off avoiding the use at all though, if possible.

... I just hope the military doesn't rely on proprietary software devices.

Josh