Using free dumbphone code (freecalypso-sw) in a piece of GPL software.

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 00:52:10 UTC 2015

I am very interested in the free dumbphone concept but cannot work out
the licensing. I had a look at freecalypso-sw and was wondering whether
I could use the TPU driver (#12) Rita legally in a GPL piece of software?

Here is the header:

/*
  * tpudrv12.c (TPU driver for RF type 12) is a required part of the L1
  * code for TI GSM chipset solutions consisting of Calypso or other
  * classic (non-LoCosto) DBB, one of the classic ABB chips such as Iota
  * or Syren, and Rita RF transceiver; the number 12 refers to the latter.
  *
  * We, the FreeCalypso team, have not been able to find an original
  * source for this C module: the LoCosto source has tpudrv61.c instead,
  * supporting LoCosto RF instead of Rita, whereas the TSM30 source
  * only supports non-TI RF transceivers.  Our only available reference
  * for what this tpudrv12.c module is supposed to contain is the
  * tpudrv12.obj COFF object from the Leonardo semi-src deliverable.
  *
  * The present reconstruction has been made by copying tpudrv61.c and
  * tweaking it to match the disassembly of the reference binary object
  * named above.
  */

Josh