A crowdfunding campaign to build a free baseband

Spacefalcon the Outlaw falcon at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Fri Apr 10 07:05:04 UTC 2015

"dimonik, dimonik" <dimonik at letiko.com> wrote:

> what is your plan in case all Chinese clones of calypso chip will be out of
> stock (or completely out of production)?

They already are completely out of production; I'm working with the
large remaining unsold surplus, and to the best of my knowledge they
are not clones, but original TI-made ones.  But see below about
clones.

> Do you have HDL files for this chip?

No, but every time I buy chips for building phones or modems, I will
always buy some extra pieces - this way if I live long enough to see
the surplus supply fully exhausted, I'll have some chips saved for
cloning - I'm sure some Chinese fab would be willing (for a couple
million USD probably) to make a verbatim clone of an old chip given a
few physical samples of the original for reverse eng.

But I'm not worried about that potential problem at all, as I already
have enough chips in my own physical possession to satisfy my own
goals in the project; anything beyond that is up to the community at
large, not me personally any more.

VLR,
SF