Arduino phone.

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 12:30:44 UTC 2015

On 18/06/15 13:08, Nick wrote:
> Quoth Josh Branning:
>> Here's something else you might be interested in:
>>
>> bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/nuttx-bb
>
> osmocom-bb is still a long way from being a complete and usable gsm
> baseband for a phone. The freecalypso project[0] is a lot closer,
> but it is based on leaked source code, so is not legally ok in most
> jurisdictions (it is technically free, though, with full source code
> for every component).

It's not free, it's open source. It's one thing having a modified
baseband, and it's another having a modified baseband to which you don't
own the intellectual 'property'. And as much as I hate the whole concept
of intellectual 'property', I hate more people getting busted for breach
of copyright.

Last time ?SpaceFalcon? was on this list I suggested he got permission
to use the source code from the copyright holders. I'm not sure if he
listened.

It is probably, theoretically possible to have a (perhaps somewhat
Tivoised) free/open baseband with regulatory approval, but not if it's
illegal from day 1.