Pet project: Alcatel Pop 2 (5)

Pedro Francisco pedrogfrancisco at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 22:40:03 UTC 2015

Hello!
I bought a Alcatel Pop 2 (5) -- 7043K .

It will be my pet project to
1) port it to CyanogenMod
2) port it to Replicant
3) port it to Firefox OS on top of Replicant.

I won't promise anything -- I'm probably biting more than I can chew, but
my idea was:
* using the sources in Alcatel's sourceforge for Vodafone Smart 6, which
seem to include my phone sources on it (codename: alto5).
* using the fact that it uses kernel 3.10 and -- I'm assuming here --
kernel's device tree.
* a free GPU driver is available from upstream -- freedreno.
* fair price point for maximum usage -- €150
* 4G connectivity and embedded modem.

Anyway, if the project goes somewhere, I'll log something here.

P.S.: any tips? I think I read somewhere you don't favor Qualcomm hardware.

P.S. 2: I prefer Firefox OS because I don't have to fight the migration of
apps from AOSP to Google branded ones.

--
Pedro