Pet project: Alcatel Pop 2 (5)

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Sun Jul 12 18:22:04 UTC 2015

> It will be my pet project to
> 1) port it to CyanogenMod
> 2) port it to Replicant
> 3) port it to Firefox OS on top of Replicant.
>
> I won't promise anything -- I'm probably biting more than I can chew,
> but my idea was:
> * using the sources in Alcatel's sourceforge for Vodafone Smart 6,
> which seem to include my phone sources on it (codename: alto5).
> * using the fact that it uses kernel 3.10 and -- I'm assuming here --
> kernel's device tree.
> * a free GPU driver is available from upstream -- freedreno.
> * fair price point for maximum usage -- €150
> * 4G connectivity and embedded modem.

Looks like a nice plan! I hope you get around doing it. Am I mistaken
that this device uses a Qualcomm SoC? If so, it might be very hard to
run it with free software. Perhaps another device would be a better fit
for that.

> Anyway, if the project goes somewhere, I'll log something here.

Good.

> P.S.: any tips? I think I read somewhere you don't favor Qualcomm
> hardware.

Correct, see above and also my recent answer to why on the Replicant
mailing list.

I encourage you to take a look at the (outdated) Replicant porting guide
to have a quick idea of what you're getting into:
http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/Replicant40PortingGuide

> P.S. 2: I prefer Firefox OS because I don't have to fight the
> migration of apps from AOSP to Google branded ones.

That's a real problem, but F-Droid makes up for it greatly for now. I
think the trade-off is still in favour of Android, but that may change.
In any case, this direction is really a shame.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: http://www.replicant.us/
Blog: http://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: http://redmine.replicant.us/