[Replicant] 4G/LTE Dongles and more

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Thu Sep 3 13:33:18 UTC 2015

Le mardi 11 août 2015 à 17:43 -0700, Geoff S. a écrit :
> 1. It may interest the group to know that I have made contact with
> several chip manufacturers in China and OEM manufacturers who after a
> lot of explaining have indicated a willingness to physically isolate
> a baseband from the rest of the system.  It is not perfect, but it
> cuts out reguatory hassles and 90% of code hassles so we can
> concentrate on a secure rest-of-system.

Oh great, it's always good that manufactures are interested in modem
isolation. However, this is only meaningful if we have means of
verifying it on actual devices. Providing schematics for the devices
and full source code for the parts that communicate with the modem is a
first step in that direction.

Can you precise which OEM is interested in that and what actions they
took (on which particular device, if possible)?

> It is important to get critical mass in the eco-system, this
> equivalent to a PC and a dumb modem circa 1995 on a serial port is
> achievable.
>
> 2. In a totally different direction, can someone point me to any
> 4G/LTE cellular dongle makers that have blob free driver for their
> device that can be compiled ?

Well, if you're talking about the driver that runs on the host, as
opposed to the firmware running on the dongle, there are plenty that
work with free software. See the ModemManager[0] project for this.

[0]: https://wiki.freedesktop.org/www/Software/ModemManager/

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis
on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: https://www.replicant.us/
Blog: https://blog.replicant.us/