[Replicant] Firmware

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Wed Sep 30 20:04:21 UTC 2015

On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:47:19 +0200
Paul Kocialkowski <contact at paulk.fr> wrote:

> > Sometimes it's a solution to temporary run non-free software on a
> > free operating system. It's like using a non-free modem until there
> > is a better solution. Or a non-free signed boot-loader.
>
> Of course, but within the scope of Replicant, we cannot advise to use
> non-free firmwares over the proprietary modem system, because the
> modem system is not distributed along with the system while Wi-Fi
> firmwares are.
>
> It's really up to the user to install them or not.
In my opinion, having to do such compromise is not a desirable thing.
I don't see a point in advocating for it.
But given that we don't have free WiFi yet on smartphones supported by
Replicant, it's up to the user to decide if she really really needs that
feature, and if so, what harm reduction strategies are best.

If the issue gets somehow set aside, for instance by doing the
workaround and forgetting about it, then it probably won't get solved
because no one would care.

Because people do care, the firmware running on ath9k_htc compatibles
WiFi cards was liberated by ThinkPenguin and Qualcomm-Atheros.

I wonder if cards with such chip can be made to work on Replicant, by
making them consume less power, to use them trough the USB (OTG) port of
Replicant supported devices.

Denis.