[Replicant] Firmware

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Fri Oct 2 09:12:07 UTC 2015

Le vendredi 25 septembre 2015 à 20:30 +0200, Paul van der Vlis a écrit :
> Op 20-09-15 om 12:47 schreef Paul Kocialkowski:
> > It doesn't matter whether you're likely to find an answer here or not:
> > it is still off-topic to ask for support about proprietary software. I
> > suggest you ask on forums such as XDA.
>
> User questions about Replicant are always on-topic on the Replicant
> mailinglist in my opinion. Even when the user thinks that proprietary
> software is the only solution.

Definitely not. Just because you're trying to do something with
Replicant doesn't mean it's appropriate for the Replicant mailing list.
Some things are not in line with the project's philosophy and thus don't
belong on the list. For instance, asking how to compromise a device
running Replicant, by installing invisible spying applications would be
out of topic, because that kind of behaviour clearly conflicts with the
project's ideals.

Replicant is an operating system, so it could be used for lots of
things. Not all of those have to be supported by the project and thus
some aren't relevant for the community around it.

It doesn't mean we'll be censoring what is said on this list and
imposing some form of politically correct, only that some topics simply
should better be discussed somewhere else.

> I understand that you don't want to advice proprietary software on the
> Replicant site, in the documentation, or in official messages from the
> Replicant team. But I am not asking something like that.

Indeed, so the rule is even more strictly applied when it comes to
material produced by the project. Community discussions do not reflect
the project's voice, however they are still Replicant-oriented. This
means more than just "somewhat related to the Replicant operating
system", it also should match the ideals behind the project.

Replicant is not just a mobile operating system, it is essentially
values and ideas. What relates to Replicant should also relate to those
values and ideas. If Replicant was just another feature-oriented mobile
operating system, then any discussion about it would be on-topic. But it
was clearly not defined that way.

> Mabye I am wrong, but I think you want to have this off-topic because of
> the opinion of the FSF. But they write: [1]
> ----
> What would be unacceptable is for the documentation to give people
> instructions for installing a nonfree program on the system, or mention
> conveniences they might gain by doing so.
>
> For a borderline case, a clear and serious exhortation not to use the
> nonfree program would move it to the acceptable side of the line.
> -----
>
> They do not even mention mailing lists discussions.It is about official
> documentation. You are trying to be "more catholic than the Pope", as
> they say here in the Netherlands ;-)

See my comment above.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: https://www.replicant.us/
Blog: https://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: https://redmine.replicant.us/