[Replicant] Replicant and remote storage, Was: the minimal effort needed for a minimal change in initramfs?

user468362 at 0w.se user468362 at 0w.se
Fri Oct 30 09:37:43 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:01:27PM +0100, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli wrote:
> > Tahoe-LAFS is a distributed data storage protocol which does not rely
> > on trust to storage servers. It offers non-replicated gateways and an
> > optional Posix-like API, without a global file name space or cache
> > consistency guarantees. The gateways have to be trusted.
> Yes, the gateway can also run on your client. I understood (probably
> wrongly) that you could have access to the same files with different
> gateways.

Not at the same time, according to my understanding.

> > A product combining the positive features of those three would be of
> > course best of all, but nobody took the challenge yet. :)
> There are also some storage systems based on the git storage format
> that sounds nice. I'm not sure how well they fit.

It depends on which slot you would want them to fit :)

Unfortunately besides Coda there is no data access system which is
[->]
 - libre
 - distributed
 - replicated
 with
 - standard API (Posix)
 - solid security model (f.i. Posix one is not applicable when distributed)
 - scalability
 - global name space (!)
 - transparent support for disconnected operation
[<-]

(It is doubtful whether any proprietary system can fit a definition of
a sound security model, so "libre" above did not have to be mentioned :)

(Scalability implies that you can not rely on scanning the data to find
what have changed, to propagate updates; iow rsync-alike is not applicable)

> There are also some other less filesystem oriented ways that are
> compatible with applications in f-droid, such as owncloud and so on.
> Some of theses require a powerful server, but maybe nowadays it's ok
> given the increase of RAM and CPU power on low power ARM home servers.

Nothing of this comes even close to the [->]...[<-] above.

Regards,
"Anru"