[Replicant] Using signal/textsecure

Laura Arjona Reina larjona at larjona.net
Thu Nov 5 14:12:32 UTC 2015

On 5 de noviembre de 2015 10:50:57 GMT+01:00, Nico CARTRON <nicolas at ncartron.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> On 05 Nov 2015, at 10:39, Nick <replicant at njw.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Quoth Andrés Muñiz Piniella:
>>> I think this is what you are looking for. SMSSecure (Send encrypted
>text messages (SMS)) - https://f-droid.org/app/org.smssecure.smssecure
>(fork of text secure without google I think)
>>
>> No, that's a different program. I want Signal/TextSecure
>> specifically not least because it is very widely trusted and used.
>
>How about Telegram?

The server part of Telegram is not free software and the encryption method, AFAIK, is secret.

I use Kontalk for 1-to-1 alternative to whatsapp (no groups yet). Free software both server and client. Based on xmpp, tied to phone number and contact address book, gpg encryption (these two features make difficult to interact with standard xmpp accounts, or use an xmpp desktop client. But it's being worked on).

About the server part,  it should be 'possible' to deploy your own server (or a corporative server for an academic institution, for example) but AFAIK is not easy and you should hack the client for the account creation/verification (now it's done by a code sent by sms or phone call, against servers controlled by the kontalk developers).

I have 'transitioned' some non-geek contacts from whatsapp to kontalk without problems, and they like the encryption, user interface, the ability to send images in full size, and voice notes.

For group chats or other (more geek) 1-to-1 chat, I use xmpp. There are several mobile clients and some of them ease the account creation. I use xabber classic (old smartphone). 'Conversations' eases account creation and also allows sending images or files, using a method that uploads the file to a server and sends the url (if the other person also uses conversations, her client will pull the url and show the image directly).

HTH
Laura Arjona

>Cheers,
>
>--