[Replicant] Replicant Digest, Vol 156, Issue 3

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Fri Dec 11 09:44:03 UTC 2015

Le samedi 21 novembre 2015 à 14:50 -0800, Geoff S. a écrit :
> Everyone should read the fascinating work of Bunny in free phones Chinese
> style:-
>
> http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=4297
> http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=3040

That's great work indeed, but as far as I know, they haven't worked on
the baseband part, have they? It seems like the nuttx and loader ports
are not being actively developed anymore.

> And on core design issues with insecure basebands:
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/mission-impossible-hardening-android-security-and-privacy

I'd recommend reading
https://www.replicant.us/freedom-privacy-security-issues.php
as well, to get an overview of the situation.

> This is why the Blackphone by silent circle and others are snake oil:
> shared memory and lord knows what else given the black box SOC directly
> controls peripherals. WileX is another snake oil phone, buy for $50 and
> sell for $300 with some window dressing freedom but at its root is locked
> down.

Sadly, this is usually the case. Devices that show true potential for
privacy and security, such as the GTA04 and Neo900 don't move the
masses.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: https://www.replicant.us/
Blog: https://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: https://redmine.replicant.us/