[Replicant] Thank you

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Fri Dec 11 10:02:00 UTC 2015

Hi there, and sorry for the late response

Le mardi 27 octobre 2015 à 16:47 +0000, Nick a écrit :
> I just bought my first ever smartphone, a Samsung Galaxy S2 (the guy
> in the shop was very unimpressed with my lack of interest in
> shinyness), and put Replicant on to straight away, and it is working
> great.
>
> The install instructions were easy to follow (except the "put the
> phone into usb storage mode" part, which I had no idea how to do,
> but duckduckgo put me straight there ["wireless and networks" is
> certainly not an intuitive place for it, but so it goes]), and
> worked perfectly, and it's all just working great.

It's always good to hear positive feedback about our work, thanks!

The thing about setting the device to USB storage is specific to the
system that was installed before, so it's up to end users to find out
how it works with their current system (there are user guides for them,
probably even a booklet in the device's case)!

> I haven't put any proprietary firmware on there, though I suppose
> maybe I will for the wifi. It seems to be working very nicely now
> though.
>
> One little bug (which I suppose is maybe more of a base system thing
> than a replicant thing, I don't know) is that in the "gallery"
> programme thumbnails don't seem to work. No idea why that would be.

Right, of course we're aware of it, this is because the Gallery
application is broken and outdated. Writing a modern replacement for it
is on the list of tasks to improve Replicant:
http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/Tasks

> Thanks all so much for your hard work, you are doing great and
> important work.

That's heart-warming, thanks!

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: https://www.replicant.us/
Blog: https://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: https://redmine.replicant.us/