[Replicant] basic phone with 100% free software to use on Verizon?

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 05:02:46 UTC 2015

The problem is, using the baseband software you provide could get me
arrested.

Not just on the charges of using a modified baseband firmware on a cell
phone network without approval from the operator, but because it's
infringing on copyrighted work that I don't have permission to use.

The former problem could be rectified by getting permission from the
carrier, or certifying the device's software.

The latter could be rectified by the creator of the modified works to
seek permission from the copyright owner (Texas Instruments) to allow
people to use the software, in chime with the freedoms set out by the FSF.

As it happens I don't think you have attempted either, which is why I am
reluctant to use the firmware you have written. (I do own a C139.)

I dislike copyright as much as the next man, woman ... whatever, and
wish it didn't exist in law. But that's not going to help me if the
police come through my door to seize my equipment and arrest me.

As Denis said, you have been told how you can fix things to make it free
software, as defined by most other people, but are reluctant to do so.
And as Paul said, in the end, it means you are pushing proprietary
software onto other people.