[Replicant] GNU/Android

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Mon Dec 14 20:16:03 UTC 2015

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 09:22:30 +0000
Josh Branning <lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am happy to use Replicant, I know, it is free software, but
> personally I would like to see a way to merge Android and Linux into
> something that can work together.
Linux requires very minimal patching nowadays. Maybe you meant
GNU/Linux.

> Apparently the Windows operating system (I know, I hate Windows too)
> has managed to make tablet/phone, without keyboard and
> tablet/computer, with keyboard, usable, in the same operating system,
> by changing the GUI depending on which interfaces are available. I do
> not expect that all non-touchscreen apps can be used with a touch
> screen, but it's certainly possible to make things 'easier' for the
> user when switching between things. There are several devices now,
> like a laptop, where the keyboard can be detached to make a tablet.
Given that parabola now works on ARM, I guess that some people will try
to run it on tablet and phones.

> Anyway, it's a shame in someways that the android kernel is different
> enough for Android software to complain if using a Linux kernel.
It's not anymore. Userspace is. You can easily boot Replicant from a
mainline kernel, with minimal patches on top. This only works if you're
lucky enough to have a device supported by both Replicant and the
mainline Linux kernel.
This device is the GTA04 but the Replicant support was not completed
due to the lack of time from Replicant developers.
The lack of time affected the ability to do the patches and to
review/integrate patches from goldelico.

Denis.