[Replicant] basic phone with 100% free software to use on Verizon?

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Mon Dec 14 23:07:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 06:18:47 +0000
Josh Branning <lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com> wrote:

> >I am doing the best thing I can to alleviate the suffering
> > of phone users that is actually feasible.
>
> Doing the best thing you can do, that is actually feasible, would be
> to send a nicely worded letter to TI explaining how much you love
> their company, and how you would really like to see their code under
> the GPL or similar.
>
> The reason why I don't think anyone else should do the same, is
> because they aren't leading the project. And a letter from someone
> who is not, to Texas Instruments, is much more likely to fall on deaf
> ears.
>
> It may take a small dent in your pride. But the reason why people are
> backing OsmocomBB and not your project, is pretty much because of the
> copyright issues, and there is great, great potential for this to be
> solved.
>
> I would even right the letter for you, if you would sign/send it?
Why not write it together with Mychaela Falconia? That way she would
not reveal her real name to be kept out of sight.
Since you didn't participate in FreeCalypso you probably don't have way
fewer risk than Mychaela.

The content of the letter would then be decided by both of you.

I'd like to fix the issue once for good.

If that modem code is released as free software by its copyright
owners, then the community could appropriate the code, in the sense
that everyone could contribute, learn, read it.

However bear in mind that TI might not be the only owner of this code.
The less effort on their side they have to do to get the code freed,
the more likely you are to succeed.

Else someone (I guess me again) will have to fix that issue, one day, by
finishing the work on Nuttx.

Right now I've personal issues to fix.

Denis.