[Replicant] Authenticator and barcode scanner

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Dec 16 20:47:36 UTC 2015

Nick <replicant at njw.me.uk> writes:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Quoth Paul van der Vlis:
>> I am trying to use authenticator and barcode scanner with a QR code. But
>> it does not work. What's your experience?
>
> I've had the exact same experience, yes. I too have no prior
> experience with QR codes, so possibly I am doing something wrong. I
> have tried the "barcode scanner" app from f-droid, with several
> different QR codes, and it never seems to detect them. I checked in
> the settings and QR codes are enabled.

Barcode scanning doesn't work due to incomplete EGL in Replicant.  See
this bug report:

http://redmine.replicant.us/issues/681

which is a duplicate of:

http://redmine.replicant.us/issues/705

My needs for a QR scanner is only inside Yubico Authenticator (similar
to Google Authenticator, but with HMAC keys stored on a YubiKey NEO
rather than on the phone) and my workaround has been to use Yubico
Authenticator Desktop on my laptop, or a (sigh) CyanogenMod phone to do
the QR scanning.

I earlier had the idea of a barcode scanner that would scan photos
instead of reading from the preview image.  Replicant can take photos
reliably.  Does anyone know of any app that can barcode/qr scan from a
photo?

/Simon