[Replicant] Replicant 6.0

Wolfgang Wiedmeyer wreg at wiedmeyer.de
Wed Jan 6 21:45:37 UTC 2016

> Really cool!  Does NFC work?  How serious is the webview issue, does it
> affect all apps that embedd a web browser, or just the standalone
> web browser?  Does firefox work on your build?

I do not use NFC and never tried to get it working with Replicant, so
this would be something you could report back if you try it out.
Webview affects all apps that embed a browser view. But I don't see it
as a serious issue. It should be doable to patch the chromium source
code, but it takes some experience and time. Doing security patches
could quickly become cumbersome if we have to stay with the older version.
Firefox does still not work. Personally, I don't care for Firefox on
Android anymore. The binaries, that come directly from Mozilla, are
built against the proprietary google play services, so they are not free
software. The F-Droid folks are trying for a very long time now to get
their own build working which would be compiled with only free
software. They were successful for some time, but recent versions are
trouble again. That's why you currently only find the binaries from
Mozilla in F-Droid. OrFox could be a solution in the future, but I
suspect that there will still be problems with EGL.

> I thought that a lot of builtin functionality had been removed from
> AOSP for 6.x and replaced by proprietary apps and services from Google,
> is 6.x without non-free apps as functional as replicant 4.2?

I am not missing any functionality so far. I had to readd the Gallery
and Camera app, however. I guess CyanogenMod did a great job in this
regard. There is now even a terminal app included, but it has to be
activated from the developer settings.

> I have spare S3's here, I'll try to build your tree and see if I get
> something that boots.

Please let me know if it works for you! I am currently trying to get rid
of the prebuilt toolchain, so there could be issues in the future when
building the code with a setup that is different from mine. I will try
to push changes in this area only when I am reasonably sure that it
won't break the build for others.

--
download: https://wiedmeyer.de/keys/ww.asc