[Replicant] GTA04 install script and sfdisk -D

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Wed Mar 2 21:13:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 10:31:22 +0200
Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo at no-log.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to reinstall my GTA04, to use its GPS.
>
> So I downloaded the images from:
> > http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ReplicantImages#Replicant-42-0003-images
>
> Here's the setup:
> > % ls
> > bootable.zip      gta04.md5
> > replicant-4.2-gta04.zip.asc  replicant_gta04_install.sh.asc
> > bootable.zip.asc  replicant-4.2-gta04.zip
> > replicant_gta04_install.sh
>
> Then when running the script:
> > % sudo ./replicant_gta04_install.sh
[...]
> > sfdisk: invalid option -- 'D'
[...]
> > For more details see sfdisk(8).
> > Something went wrong, do you want to restore drive start backup?
> > [Y/N]
>
> So I don't have the "-D" option in sfdisk:
> > sfdisk: invalid option -- 'D'
While doing scripts for another OMAP device, I looked into it:

From the man from sfdisk 2.20.1 we have:
  -H, --heads heads
  -S, --sectors sectors
  -D, --DOS

From the man from sfdisk 2.27.1:
Since  version 2.26 sfdisk supports MBR (DOS), GPT, SUN and SGI
disk labels, but no longer provides any functionality for CHS
(Cylinder-Head-Sector) addressing.  CHS has never  been important
for Linux, and this addressing concept does not make any sense for
new devices. [...] Since version 2.26 sfdisk does not provide the
--DOS, [...], --cylinders, --heads, --sectors, [...]

I wonder what are the consequences of not using theses options on
recent sfdisk.

If I remember well, In the script I used, it worked without theses
options, but it might have been by pure luck.

Denis.