[Replicant] OT: Open source GSM board

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sat Oct 29 00:41:32 UTC 2016

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 16:30:01 +0200
> Then, the whole leaked source code would not be required.
I don't see why it is required at all. OsmocomBB does work, you can
call with it, send SMS, and so on.

The main issue with osmocomBB is that it requires a GNU/Linux host
computer to run.
While the layer1 runs on the modem, the layer3 currently requires a
GNU/Linux computer to run on.

Even on a smartphone this isn't great as you cannot keep the
application processor suspended anymore, else you would loose calls.

I guess that it would have taken less work to make OsmocomBB usable as
a feature phone or smartphone modem firmware.

I tried to convince the main person behind FreeCalypso to do exactly
that, without success.

Given that devices[1] supported by Replicant:
- Don't have a free software bootloader
- Don't have free software WiFi firmware
- Don't have mainline Linux and bootloader support

It is currently more urgent in my TODO list than finishing the port of
OsmocomBB to Nuttx.