[Replicant] Support for Tehnoetic's USB Wifi Dongle in Replicant 6.0

Wolfgang Wiedmeyer wreg at wiedmeyer.de
Sun Jan 22 18:57:32 UTC 2017

Fil writes:

> Hi Kurtis,
>
>> I would personally love to see Tehnoetic's awesome addition added to
>> Replicant 6.0. My s3 phone got stolen a few weeks ago and haven't found
>> a replacement yet, so I'm sorry that I can't contribute by testing right
>> now. A ton of work has been done on Replicant 6.0 though on the i9100
>> and i9300 and it might see a beta release sooner rather than later.
> AFAIK (not sure though), Tibi is in contact with Paul K. to integrate
> his patches that made libre wifi available into the next stable release
> of Replicant. So, you should definitely ask Tibi or Paul about all this
> (or ask publicly in the forum).
>
>> So, what are the blockers to adding this feature? Does more development
>> need to be done? Or do we need some organized testing of different
>> builds? Who all is down for some alpha testing of the feature and what
>> phones do you have?
> As far as I know, no big blockers are in place. Everything works
> sufficiently (IMO) and it only needs to be merged in the official repos.
> The situation is usable, but not-so-stable on the I9100, crashes happen
> quite often, due to current consumption spikes. It should be much more
> stable on the I9300. As for testing, I seem to remember that the
> Tehnoetic Team was planning to work on the ath9k driver to try and
> resolve the power consumption issue but, again, you should ask Tibi, for
> more precise information.

Added Tiberiu to CC. I can confirm that on Replicant 6.0, the S3 also
seems to be more stable. I only had crashes when the battery was really
low. Otherwise, the adapter simply powers down if there is not enough
battery power left and the connection is lost.
In the Replicant 6.0 kernel, I included a backport of the ath tree from
the 3.4 kernel. So it would be good to test the optimizations regarding
the power consumptions on top of the backport. I'm also wondering if
other projects already have solutions for these issues with the ath9k
driver. The wireless wiki has a page about power consumption with
ath9k[1]. mac80211 also has a dynamic power save feature that should be
enabled with ath9k[2]. Some testing could be done to see how well this
works with the smdk4412 kernel.

Best regards,
Wolfgang