[Replicant] quick compatibility question

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Mon Feb 20 05:40:27 UTC 2017

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 19:34:15 +0100 (CET)
<amsj at tuta.io> wrote:

> Hi!
Hi,

The contact address is only for private inquiries that cannot be made
public.
Public inquiries have are to be handled in the mailing list.
I've CC-ed the mailing list for convenience.

> I'd like to buy a Samsung Galaxy S2 to install Replicant on, but I'm
> having trouble figuring out exactly which model I need to get.
>
> Replicant lists "Galaxy S 2 (I9100)" among their supported devices,
> and it looks to me like "I9100" could mean one of two things:
>
> 1) the codename for the Galaxy S2 in general, as it says on the
> Wikipedia page (any Galaxy S2 will work) OR
It's not safe to assume that every model will work.
For instance with the S3(i9300),the i9300 works but not the i9305.
The Wikipedia page list several processors (System on a chip in the
jargon):
- Samsung Exynos 4 Dual 45 nm (GT-I9100, SHW-M250S/K/L)
- Texas Instruments OMAP4430 (GT-I9100G)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon S3 APQ8060 (GT-I9210,SGH-T989)
- Broadcom BC28155 (GT-I9105) Marvell PXA986
I'm fairly certain that we don't supports model with something else
than the Samsung Exynos processor.

> 2) specifically the GT-I9100 model released in India (only this model
> will work)
That doesn't sound right either since none of the Replicant developers
lived there. So maybe there is a mistake either on the wiki, on
Wikipedia, or on your understanding of the Wikipedia page.
In either the Replicant the wiki probably needs to be clarified, and
maybe Wikipedia too.

> If you could clear this up for me, it would be greatly appreciated.
I can't, this is why writing directly to the mailing list would have
been better.

> Specifically, I'd like to know if this I727R would work:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S2-I727R-16GB-Black-Unlocked-Good-Condition-GD4649-/282337449359?hash=item41bc9f958f
>
> Thanks!
> Andrew

Denis.