[Replicant] Website updates for Replicant 6.0 release

Wolfgang Wiedmeyer wreg at wiedmeyer.de
Fri Mar 24 15:05:19 UTC 2017

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli writes:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:57:06 +0100
> Wolfgang Wiedmeyer <wreg at wiedmeyer.de> wrote:
>
>> An important aspect should be how easy it is to update such a setup.
>> If the F-Droid maintainers are willing to maintain such a separate
>> repository, would it be easy to move new apps into the Replicant repo
>> and newly found non-free apps out of the repo?
> A simple script should be able to make it automatic, at the expense of
> having less application at the begining.
> We can separate the fix:
> - One part can be done in a script to produce an FSDG compatible
>   repository, just by removing all software with anti-features.
> - Another part can be done by having Replicant users like me look at
>   applications and report the non-compliant applications to either
>   f-droid or Replicant, or to send a patch for the f-droid metadata
>   repository.
> - The last part would be to have f-droid autodetect that it runs on
>   Replicant (this is probably already the case) and instead of greying
>   out applications with anti-feature it would select the repository
>   that doesn't have any applications with anti-features.
>   The user wanting them would then have to manually switch repository
>   and enter addresses by hand.
>
>> Detecting Replicant in F-Droid and then applying changes is probably
>> the only way to get these changes accepted in F-Droid. The script
>> could be done by us and we update it ourselves.
> A simple script that only filters out applications with anti-features
> and produce a different repository is probably enough.
> It will have many false positive but the false negative could be
> handled by fixint the f-droid data repository.
>
> This way we need no blacklist and we don't need to maintain anything at
> first. F-droid would also have almost no maintenance burden.
>
> This is, supposing that the source is compliant that way. We probably
> would need to check that as well.
>
>> I fear that by simply filtering out apps with antifeatures as it is
>> currently planned in the upstream bug[1], too many are filtered that
>> are actually free software.
> Yes, as stated before, there are many false positive however, it can
> later be addressed this way:
> - Each specific anti-features are better understood, defined, and
>   reviewed against the FSDG guidelines.
> - Applications (fdroid-data) are reviewe against each anti-feature
>   definition.
> - Some anti-features could then be enabled back, based on the fact that
>   they respect the FSDG guidelines or not.
>
>> Having our own blacklist would mean a lot
>> more flexibility when it comes to deciding which apps should be
>> hidden.
> I get the point, however can we find people willing to maintain it?

Please see my follow up mails and everything that is linked to the
issue on the tracker[1]. I'm already quite a few steps further. It would
be good if you and Paul could comment on some of my proposals and questions
on the tracker. The upstream merge request for the F-Droid client could
also use your comments.
It makes everything more difficult if we have discussions in different
places. I think our tracker and the upstream issue trackers of the
relevant F-Droid subprojects are the right places to figure out all of
this.

Thanks for reviewing my website patches!

By the way: Did you upload your new GPG key somewhere? I can't receive
it currently.

Best regards,
Wolfgang

[1]  https://redmine.replicant.us/issues/1629