[Replicant] No mobile network suddenly

Laura Arjona Reina larjona at larjona.net
Sat Apr 15 18:12:41 UTC 2017

Hi

El 15/04/17 a las 19:29, Tomas Nordin escribió:
> Hello Replicanters
>
> I have Replicant (4.2) on a Samsung S3 GT-I9300. Yesterday I lost the
> mobile network connectivity. I have tried my SIM-card on another device
> and it worked, vice versa I tried another SIM-card on my phone and it
> did not work.
>
> There is some confusing behavior of the airplane mode. After a reboot
> for example, the menu I get by holding the power button has a menu item
> claiming that airplane mode is on. At the same time WIFI and Bluetooth
> is on. It can be toggled to say off on that menu-item. During this time
> airplane mode is not reported on by other menus like the pull-down menu
> or the item found through the Wireless & network settings.
>
> Also, while I have airplane mode not reported ON anywhere, when trying
> to make a call despite I can see there is no network (in the
> notification area on top), I get a message saying "To place a call,
> first turn off Airplane mode."
>
> I have no idea if the airplane mode behavior has anything to do with the
> problem or is it an effect of the problem.
>
> Is somebody here able to help me trouble shoot this?

It happened exactly the same in my phone, same model, same Replicant
version. Factory reset didn't help, and reflashing Replicant 4.2.2
didn't help either. I tried flashing Replicant 6.0 too, and didn't
help, but flashing Cyanogenmod 13 solved the issue, my sim card was
recognized and worked well. So now I'm using CM13 :/

In Replicant 6.0 there was a note about the problem of certain SIM
cards not being recognized; I have to send the radio logs (encrypted)
to the issue tracker, in order to help the diagnosis (sorry it's being
delayed!).

But I frankly don't know why this worked well in Replicant 4.2.2 until
"now", and suddenly stoped working. Maybe it's a mode of the SIM card
that the operators switched too, that was not used until now, and this
is why now it does not work? (I doubt this is the case because when
turning on the phone, the PIN is even not asked, as if the SIM card is
not there). Maybe is some hardware problem, for which Replicant 4/6
are more "sensitive" than Cyanogenmod 13? (maybe related to some
firmware blob?).

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Best regards

--