[Replicant] FAQ entry

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at replicant.us
Sun May 7 11:56:24 UTC 2017

Hi,

Le samedi 29 octobre 2016 à 02:07 +0200, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli a écrit :
> What do you think of adding the following FAQ entry:
>
> == Does Replicant supports devices that can run free software modem
> firmwares? ==
>
> While a free software and functional modem firmwares do exist[1], the
> smartphones supported[2] are probably not powerful enough[3] to run
> recent versions of android[4] decently.
>
> [1] https://osmocom.org/projects/baseband/wiki/
> [2] The Openmoko GTA01 and GTA02
> [3] They both have only 128M of RAM
> [4] 340MB For Android 4.2[5], 424M For Android 6[6]
> [5] 7.6. Memory and Storage in:
> https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/source.android.com/en//compatibilit
> y/4.2/android-4.2-cdd.pdf
> [6] 7.6.1. Minimum Memory and Storage in:
> https://static.googleusercontent.com/media/source.android.com/en//compatibilit
> y/6.0/android-6.0-cdd.pdf

Since we're updating the website these days, I'm bumping this.

I agree with the idea. We coudl also mention the feature phones built around
microcontroller boards like the Arduino and explain why it's out of the scope of
Replicant.

Cheers,

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several devices,
a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on freedom
and privacy/security.

Website: https://www.replicant.us/
Blog: https://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: https://redmine.replicant.us/