[Replicant] Fwd: JMP this month: stats, a facelift, and more!

Kurtis Hanna kurtis at riseup.net
Mon Jul 10 21:23:00 UTC 2017

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: JMP this month: stats, a facelift, and more!
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:18:35 -0400
From: Denver Gingerich <denver at soprani.ca>
To: denver at soprani.ca

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the latest edition of your pseudo-monthly https://jmp.chat/
update!

In case it's been a while since you checked out JMP, here's a refresher:
JMP lets you send and receive text and picture messages through a real
phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else
that has an XMPP client.  JMP's tagline, "Freedom for SMS", captures the
freedom that JMP gives you from traditional cell phone carriers, as well
as the fully-free nature of all the software that powers JMP (licensed
entirely under AGPLv3+).

We have a number of interesting new developments this month, so I'll get
right to them:
* Stephen Paul Weber wrote an excellent article on how you can use JMP
to get visual voicemail (with transcription) on your existing phone
number: https://singpolyma.net/2017/06/awesome-voicemail-for-android/
* JMP now has an inventory of vanity/preferred numbers - we're starting
with numbers in the coveted 212 area code (see
https://jmp.chat/sp1a/register1/?areacode=212 ) and plan to expand;
suggestions welcome!
* we've made https://jmp.chat/ much simpler so it's easy to see what the
signup steps are - if you hesitated to show your friends because the
site seemed complicated, give it another look :)
* curious how many minutes/messages you used this month?  JMP now
displays this with a new "Show Monthly Usage" feature, accessible from
an ad-hoc command just like voicemail settings (see
https://jmp.chat/#voicemail for details)
* as usual, a variety of bug fixes and minor improvements were added;
for a complete list, see:
** https://gitlab.com/ossguy/jmp-register/commits/master
** https://gitlab.com/ossguy/jmp-fwdcalls/commits/master

Also, both I and Stephen Paul Weber (who's done a lot of work on JMP so
far) will be at DebConf, which is taking place in less than a month in
Montreal: https://debconf17.debconf.org/ - we're still waiting to hear
if a Soprani.ca-related talk will be accepted, but feel free to find us
in the halls if you want to chat!

If you'd like to see what's happening with JMP between emails like this,
here are some ways you can find out:
* follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/JMP_chat
* find us in the discuss at conference.soprani.ca group chat, accessible
from most XMPP clients, or on the web:
https://anonymous.cheogram.com/discuss@conference.soprani.ca
* signup for the 30-day free trial at https://jmp.chat/#signup and try
out the new features!

Our current top priorities for next features (roughly in order) are:
more plan and payment options, a custom JMP app, and testing of 900 MHz
radio hardware for future expansion of the project (see
https://wiki.soprani.ca/ThePlan#Long-range_radios for details).  We'll
be sure to keep you in the loop on all the new developments.

Thanks for reading and have a great week!

Denver
https://soprani.ca/