[Replicant] Replicant Digest, Vol 225, Issue 1

Nick replicant at njw.me.uk
Thu Jul 20 11:57:31 UTC 2017

Quoth Allan Mwenda:
> Well if you look at it like that it'll be a long long time before you use any smartphone ever.

Most of us on this list probably do use replicant on our
smartphones, so that's clearly not the case.

> HALs are on pretty much every droid ever. I think it is good to get people off relying on Google Play, and LineageOS is the best place to do that. As long as no replicant device has Wi-Fi, it'll always be a hard sell to the casual smarphone user. Its also more likely that they own a device listed by LineageOS than one listed by Replicant. So this person who already has a phone, and wants to free their device, do you them "don't even bother its hopeless" or "you can use this rom its better than what your manufacturer put and has no Google"

Replicant + wifi firmware is still quite a bit better than LineageOS
in terms of freedom, as Wolfgang illustrated well.

I fully agree that LineageOS is much better than the stock OS on
most (all?) Android phones, and yes, recommending it as better is
reasonable to me, but "or you could get one of the phones supported
by replicant and have a lot less proprietary software than even
LineageOS" is still a legitimate thing to say.

Anyway, thanks for writing to the Replicant list, but I suspect if
you're aiming to convince the people here that their work is
pointless when LineageOS exists you'll have a tough time ;)

Nick