[Replicant] i9305: Add support for rt2500usb wifi devices

Wolfgang Wiedmeyer wreg at wiedmeyer.de
Sun Aug 13 14:49:49 UTC 2017

Hi,

the size of your message was over the limit for the list. I manually
approved it now and your patches should be available to the list.

Joonas Kylmälä writes:

> Hi,
>
> The attached patches for kernel_samsung_smdk4412 enable support for wifi
> usb dongles that use RT2500USB chipset.

Thanks for the patches! As I understand, this chipset doesn't require
firmware to be loaded as it's already preinstalled. I searched for
dongles that have RT2500USB/RT2571 and I had a hard time finding any
that I could buy in my country (Germany). Maybe there is a way to get
one second-hand. It's also important not to confuse them with RT2571W
(notice the "W" at the end) which use a different driver and require
non-free firmware to be loaded. For these reasons, I wasn't yet able to
test the patches. I basically can only test if they don't introduce any
issues.

Did it work fine with RepWifi? How was the performance with low battery
charge?

> The patch #2 is from
> <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?h=v3.14.79&id=8b0df00fe650197ac47c42ba71b2588334a529be>
> and is important to have because otherwise if power save is enabled some
> devices work only at a speed of 40kb/s.

Ok, regarding the big backport patch: did you just copy the driver code
or did you do any additional modifications to make it work with the
older kernel?

> The patch set was tested on i9305 device. Feel free to enable the kernel
> module on other devices.

Well, I can't test it right now. But in the long run, it wouldn't make
sense to limit it only to i9305. I'm unsure if it's worth it to enable
it now without testing for the other devices. At least, testing is
needed to ensure that no bugs are introduced. Enabling it for other
devices that use a different kernel, like maguro or the espresso
tablets, should be easier as their kernels don't have the Wi-Fi code
backported from 3.4.

Best regards,
Wolfgang

--