[Replicant] RepWifi new version v0.5 released

Wolfgang Wiedmeyer wreg at wiedmeyer.de
Mon Aug 28 21:21:05 UTC 2017

Hi Fil,

Fil writes:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I just released a new version of RepWifi, with additional features and
> some restyling.
> The updated APKs are available at the same old forum post:
> https://redmine.replicant.us/boards/9/topics/14079
>
> Source code is available at my repo hosted on git.replicant.us

Thanks for the update, keep up the great work :)

> Wolfgang, and other Replicant maintainers: If you are interested in
> merging the new version in the Replicant tree, please let me know if
> anything needs to be done on my side to make it available.

Please check the repwifi repo[1]. I added two minor changes there some
time ago. I didn't compare them yet to your update. So if you want, you
could check if it merges fine. I'm planning to do the next Replicant 6.0
release in the first half of September and I added merging your RepWifi
updates to my TODO list for the release.

> Also, I would be interested in discussing possible ways to auto-update
> the app inside Replicant without having to manually remove the apk from
> the system partition. Maybe some integration with f-droid could be
> useful?

The best way to do this would indeed be to get RepWifi into
F-Droid. Then I'd change the build to not build RepWifi from source, but
to download the presigned APK from F-Droid and include it in the
image. Then it would be possible to update it through F-Droid. Of
course, it would be nice to have the changes from the Replicant repwifi
repo[1] included then.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

[1]  https://git.replicant.us/replicant/packages_apps_repwifi/