[Replicant] Installing replicant without USB ?

Frédéric Lochon lochon at crazyfamily.fr
Thu Sep 14 19:51:28 UTC 2017

Le 13/09/2017 à 00:26, Frédéric Lochon a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I just got a samsung galaxy S2 but, unfortunately, the USB is not
> working properly.
>
> So, by the time I try to repair the USB connection, I'm asking if that
> would be possible to install replicant without a USB cable.
>
> As I have root access on the phone, I was wondering if "mobile odin"
> could do the trick (or maybe busybox).

OK, my message was not crystal clear... Even if managed to repair the
USB, let me rephrase my question because I'm curious to know the response.

I have a galaxy S2 but USB is not working properly.
So, if I follow the recommended installation procedure I cannot proceed.
One of the steps is to flash the KERNEL partition. But, without a USB
cable that's not possible.

So, my question should have been: "how to flash the KERNEL partition
without a USB cable ?".
One of my guess was to use "mobile ODIN", but the image which can be
found is a .img file and "mobile ODIN" doesn't want such a file.
Maybe there is some way to "convert" the .img file but I'm not really
used to that, and because the target is a smartphone, it can be quite
difficult to recover from a bad operation.

Another guess was to use some utilities (something like "dd" from GNU
coreutils) to write the KERNEL partition.
But, again, I'm not comfortable with eMMC storage.

Maybe there are some other way of doing it.

Anyway, I have repaired the USB connector, so I have been able to follow
the recommended procedure to flash the KERNEL partition.
But I'm just curious to know if any of my ideas is feasible or not.

Frédéric, proudly running replicant !