[Replicant] Installing replicant without USB ?

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Wed Sep 13 17:02:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 00:26:55 +0200
Frédéric Lochon <lochon at crazyfamily.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just got a samsung galaxy S2 but, unfortunately, the USB is not
> working properly.
>
> So, by the time I try to repair the USB connection, I'm asking if that
> would be possible to install replicant without a USB cable.
>
> As I have root access on the phone, I was wondering if "mobile odin"
> could do the trick (or maybe busybox).
It's doable but risky, because some mistakes could put the phone in a
situation that you cannot recover from.

You need a shell on the phone, preferibly from the confort of your
laptop/desktop, and root access.

A possible plan would be to try to reflash a recovery from the working
system. If flashing the recovery somehow fails you must make sure to be
able to boot to the system and try again.

To do that start by identifying the partition that holds that recovery
image and make sure to identify it correctly, else it could result in a
bricked device.

Then flash the recovery, if the partition is on an eMMC, you can
probably use something like that:
# cat /dev/zero > /path/to/recovery/partition
# cat /path/to/recovery.img > /path/to/recovery/partition

Then at this point you can install Replicant normally. If I remember
correctly the S2 has a microSD slot, so you can put the replicant
update.zip there.

Denis.