[Replicant] Fdroid 1.0.1 with privileged extension causes crashes

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sat Nov 4 10:09:49 UTC 2017

Hi all.

I am running Replicant 6.0 0002 on an i9300 and it has been working
fine.  It came with fdroid privileged extension pre-installed.  It
hasn't been possible to upgrade it because it was signed with a
different key, so I have been using the version that came with 6.0
0002.

After upgrading fdroid to 1.0.1, replicant crashes on installing an app
through fdroid.  Replicant doesn't come up again, and just keeps
looping on startup (boot logo, adb works).  After a factory reset I
reproduced this (stock 0002 image, upgrade fdroid, install any app ->
crash), so it seems like a geniune bug.

After another factory reset, I upgraded fdroid to 1.0.1 and disabled
use of the privileged extension and installing apps works fine and
doesn't cause replicant crashes.

1) Can anyone reproduce this?

2) How do I upgrade the fdroid privileged extension?  I tried
downloading the ZIP and installing it through recovery but it also
complained about wrong key.  Maybe a newer privileged extension version
doesn't trigger the replicant crash.

3) To help others avoid a factory reset, is there any way to recover
from this situation except a factory reset?  Adb works while replicant
is boot looping, so it might be possible to recover.

Cheers,
/Simon