[Replicant] Fdroid 1.0.1 with privileged extension causes crashes

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Nov 6 08:27:33 UTC 2017

lör 2017-11-04 klockan 12:09 +0100 skrev maurice at prtrc.net:
> Hi Simon
>
> > I am running Replicant 6.0 0002 on an i9300 and it has been working
> > fine.  It came with fdroid privileged extension pre-installed.  It
> > hasn't been possible to upgrade it because it was signed with a
> > different key, so I have been using the version that came with 6.0
> > 0002.
> >
> > After upgrading fdroid to 1.0.1, replicant crashes on installing an
> > app
> > through fdroid.  Replicant doesn't come up again, and just keeps
> > looping on startup (boot logo, adb works).  After a factory reset I
> > reproduced this (stock 0002 image, upgrade fdroid, install any app
> > ->
> > crash), so it seems like a geniune bug.
> >
> > After another factory reset, I upgraded fdroid to 1.0.1 and
> > disabled
> > use of the privileged extension and installing apps works fine and
> > doesn't cause replicant crashes.
> >
> > 1) Can anyone reproduce this?
>
> I can reproduce the crashing and looping, but for me it doesn't work
> with factory reset and disabling the privileged extension to install
> apps without crashing and looping again.

The privileged extension was a red herring -- the culprit is apps
aapt2-built apk's.  The DAVDroid 1.9.1 app in fdroid triggers this.  On
my tests above I didn't try to install DAVDroid, only some other apps.

See more here:

https://forums.bitfire.at/topic/1603/replicant-lineage-1-9-1-causing-in
stant-crash-and-bootloops

Indeed the way to recover from the bootloop is to (re)move the
/data/app/*davdroid* directory.  Then your phone can boot and you can
revert back to davdroid 1.9 or (presumably) wait for 1.9.2.

Hopefully replicant 6 0003 can be released to fix the OS bug too?!  I
believe Wolfgang found a patch to fix this.

/Simon