[Replicant] Calendar and address book syncing without google. Not working.

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Mon Nov 20 21:19:35 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:24:55AM +0100, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Hi.  DAVDroid has worked really stable for me several years now.  Are
> you sure you gave it permission to calendar/contacts?  Sometimes on re-

Thank you! I wasn't aware of any place where permissions would have been
set, but after some time looking around I found a check-box for "Enable
Privacy Guard" that I un-checked.  After that, both the calendar and
address book sychronized successfully.  It took a long time but it's
now done.

> install I forget this because it doesn't ask for it directly.  If you
> get crashes, I would suspect that something is wrong with your phone --

That was another issue.  DAVdroid 1.9.1 was apparently using some
incorrect library.  Downgrading to 1.9 solved that issue.  1.9.1 has
been removed from f-droid last I checked.

> DAVDroid nor Replicant rarely crashes for me, and when it does it is
> usually reproducible.  Can you test with another phone maybe?

The only other phones I have handy are iPhones (4S and 6).  I don't
know much about iPhones (these were given to me) , but everything I've
tried has been met with blocks.  Neither phone is connected to a phone
company, I wanted to use them as wifi only, but it appears that doing
anything at all without an apple ID is impossible, so I presume
connecting to a CalDAV/CardDAV server (other than apple's presumably)
is not possible by design.

Does anyone know if it's possible to install Replicant on iPhones?
My guess is that it's impossible.

> Not sure this helps, but wanted to reply so you don't feel like you are
> on your own on this :)

Thank you very much for taking the time.

> /Simon

Augustine