[Replicant] Installation instructions rework

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Thu Jan 11 14:33:46 UTC 2018

Hi,

If I look at the current installation instruction, we have almost the
same instructions for all the devices, the only differences being the
image names and the way to install the recovery. If we only take into
account the devices fully supported by Replicant 6.0 0003, thy are
duplicated 10 times.

I've categorized the instructions by the command needed to install the
recovery.

heimdall flash --BOOT <recovery.img> --RECOVERY <recovery.img>
- Galaxy S 3 (I9300)
- Galaxy S 3 4G (I9305)
- Galaxy Note 2 (N7100)
- Galaxy Note 8.0 (N5100)
- Galaxy Note 8.0 Wi-Fi (N5110)

heimdall flash --KERNEL <recovery.img> --RECOVERY <recovery.img>
- Galaxy Tab 2 (Px1xx)

heimdall flash --KERNEL <recovery.img>
- Galaxy S (I9000)
- Galaxy S 2 (I9100)
- Galaxy Note (N7000)

fastboot flash recovery <recovery.img>
- Nexus S (I902x)
- Galaxy Nexus (I9250) Installation:

It could be easier to maintain if we split the installation instructions
in:
- 2,3, or 4 installation instructions for the recovery
- one generic installation instruction for the OS

I've already started working on it, and simplified the installation
instructions, thanks to the fact that the recovery now checks
signatures.

The remaining installation instructions
- I've written instructions to install or upgrade the recovery for the
  first group of devices mentioned above[1].
- Installation instructions could be inspired from the generic minor
  version upgrade instructions[2].

Before adding instructions about adb sideload and adding instructions
for more devices, I'd like to get some feedback, especially Paul's
feedback to understand if it's a good idea or not.

I've tested the instructions with someone that knows a bit the command
line, and that person was able to figure out what files in the
instructions to do the minor version upgrade. So the only crucial thing
left out seem to be how to tell which command to type to flash the
recovery. Making a mistake here might brick the device as the BOOT
partition might be the bootloader on some devices.