[Replicant] can Replicant run on Infrared-models (GT-P5113, GT-P3113, even GT-N5113 if they made one)

kurtis kurtis at riseup.net
Thu May 3 04:34:00 UTC 2018

Dear Chad,

Chadvellacott:
>    Can Replicant run on the analogous Infrared-models (GT-P5113,
> GT-P3113, even GT-N5113 if they made one) ?
>    [It looks like, on "Samsung Galaxy" devices, ##00 is to indicate WiFi
> & cellular, ##10 WiFi-only, and ##13 WiFi & Infrared ("port", "blaster").]

I'm pretty sure that the GT-P3113 and GT-P5113 can run Replicant just
fine. After having looked through our forum, it seems as though some
Replicant users have already suggested that they've gotten it installed
on their GT-PX113 devices, but I haven't seen anyone confirm that 6.0
runs on it. It'd be great to figure this out once and for all.

I don't think there was a need for a GT-N5113 because there's an
Infrared port on the GT-N5110:
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_8_0_wi_fi-5253.php I
actually didn't know this until I just looked it up. Thanks for giving
me the motivation to look into it!

I must mention, for reasons of speed, performance, and the use of a 'not
proprietary to Samsung' charging port, the GT-N5110 is suggested far and
above the GT-P31XX and GT-P51XX models for daily drivers. Additionally,
due to some new development work on the bootloader and kernel for the S3
and Note 2, the GT-N5110 has a much higher chance of getting an updated
and mainlined bootloader and kernel since it is extremely similar to
those two devices. It would take a fair bit of work for the GT-P31XX and
GT-P51XX models to get such updates.

>    I found that you requested Infrared-models, among devices for you to
> target:-
> https://www.mail-archive.com/replicant@lists.osuosl.org/msg00883.html
>
>    And your "installation"-pages seem to be for all Px1xx and N51xx:-
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyTab2Px1xxInstallation
>
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyNote80N51xxInstallation
>

>    But for Supported Models, you only list the #100-models and
> #110-models, here:-
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyTab270P31xx
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyTab2101P51xx
> https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/GalaxyNote80N51xx

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we should update this to include the GT-P3113
and GT-P5113.

>    And if Replicant can basically run on Infrared-models too, then a
> second question is, Does the Infrared work then?

That's a good question. I have a GT-N5110 but might not have time to
test this for a few days. Please remind me if I don't respond in 3 or 4
days.

In the mean time, does anyone else here know? If it does work, it
probably would be wise to add this information to this table:
https://redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ReplicantStatus#Replicant-60

>    I am glad for such a libre system to be available for at least some
> tablets and phones.
>    Thanks for supporting libre computing.

We're glad too. You're very welcome. Thanks for your questions and support!

>    Sincerely, Chad.
In Solidarity,
kurtis
Replicant Community Member