[Replicant] can Replicant run on Infrared-models (GT-P5113, GT-P3113, even GT-N5113 if they made one)

Chadvellacott chadvellacott at sasktel.net
Thu May 3 20:10:24 UTC 2018

    Thanks for the reply.

kurtis wrote on 2018/05/02 10:34 PM:
~

> I'm pretty sure that the GT-P3113 and GT-P5113 can run Replicant just
> fine. After having looked through our forum, it seems as though some

    Ah, I guess that though I searched for "P3113" and "P5113" in the
LIST-archives, I did not adequately look at FORUM-posts which had either
of those terms.

> Replicant users have already suggested that they've gotten it installed
> on their GT-PX113 devices, but I haven't seen anyone confirm that 6.0
> runs on it. It'd be great to figure this out once and for all.

    Yes, that'd be good.

~

> I must mention, for reasons of speed, performance, and the use of a 'not

    I am more interested in whether it can run a relatively-basic
text-editor, than play a movie or a "sophisticated" game.
    So size may matter more than speed.  And the smaller tablet might be
too small for me.  The Note 8.0 is even smaller, from what I read.

> proprietary to Samsung' charging port, the GT-N5110 is suggested far and
> above the GT-P31XX and GT-P51XX models for daily drivers. Additionally,

    Ah, how did I miss or forget that "The device utilizes the Samsung
proprietary connector for connecting a USB charging/data cable." (from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_Tab_2_7.0

)

    So does this problem merely mean that an owner of a Galaxy Tab 2,
has limited choice of replacement-cables?
    Or does it mean that on those devices, charging and
USB-data-transfer require Replicant to load proprietary drivers?

> due to some new development work on the bootloader and kernel for the S3
> and Note 2, the GT-N5110 has a much higher chance of getting an updated
> and mainlined bootloader and kernel since it is extremely similar to
> those two devices. It would take a fair bit of work for the GT-P31XX and
> GT-P51XX models to get such updates.

    Would that development mean that the affected devices can run
without a closed-source non-libre boot-loader?  That'd be good.

    Sincerely, Chad.