[seagrant-dev] License

Kennric kennric at osuosl.org
Thu Jul 31 22:18:59 UTC 2014

We need to decide on the license to apply to the open-source products of our
work. I think both back-end and mobile code should use the same license, but I
don't know what that means for the Apple side of things.

We tend to prefer Apache v2 [1], but other possibilities are:

MIT [2] - more permissive and simpler, perhaps more ambiguous when it comes to
patent issues.

GPL 2 [3] (or 3 [4])- includes clauses requiring derivative works to also be
open source.

The OSL and OSU tend to prefer Apache for its legal simplicity and clarity.

It is a good idea to choose and apply the license as soon as the git repo is
created.

Ken

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html
[2] http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT