[seagrant-dev] Oregon's Catch Splash Screens

Carr, Justin Justin.Carr at oregonstate.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:43:38 UTC 2015

Allison,

I am also new to the 9-patch PNG format so I’m CC’ing the Sea Grant Developers group in case other project members have more information.

When you say “screen size is preset” that’s mostly true: a given device’s screen hardware cannot change dimensions. However, if a user hasn’t locked their screen orientation, the app will need to be able to resize whatever it’s rendering to display properly in landscape or in portrait mode. Additionally, the Android market has plenty of devices that do not conform to screen sizes that we’ve come to expect (such as smart watches and oddly-shaped tablet computers).

Here’s a great example of how tiDev does a 9-patch PNG splash screen and a brief discussion on how it works:
http://www.tidev.io/2014/02/12/android-splash-screens-using-9-patch-images/

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I’m happy to work with you on this process; I know how nerve-wracking it can be to let someone else test your work while you’re not there to talk about it.

Thanks!

-Justin